Re: [LUG] DVD burners & Linux?

lee quick wrote:

On Monday 10 November 2003 21:48, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

Yeah, I looked at the transcode site.  Don't DVDs use MPEG2?  Couldn't I
'transcode' it from DivX to 'native' DVD Video format?  Would I degrade
the quality still further by converting to SVCD format?

your on the right tracks

mpeg flask = cvd,vcd,svcd,xvcd or xsvcd,vob
avi flask = divx 4,5 avi variants etc
ogg flask = xvid,ogg etc

of course most dvdplayers only like coasters prepped with mpeg flask.

as for divx transcoding .... tricky but not impossible quality after on vcd spec about the same as good quality vhs.
i take it you got a movie in divx format and want to convert for domestic dvd playback.

cheers,

That's correct. I'm also interested in backup my DVD movies, is there anything stopping me doing that? Ie. copy protection or anything?

Cheers,

Jon