Re: [LUG] Wireless LAN Antenna's

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 22:53, Simon Waters wrote:
> Mark Cubitt wrote:
> > Just asking if anybody knows the sort of distance that can be achieved with
> > a 12dB Omni-Directional Antenna (Just a rough distance, I know it depends on
> > terrain).

I've recently moved to Easton, Bristol home of the CLAN
(ecc.bristolwireless.net) the main access point was recently upgraded
(mostly I think sticking it higher to clear some trees) and they've got
a signal on a high point way across the other side of the M32 -
something like a mile and a half/two miles.

I've been doing some work with the Bristol Wireless project - doing free
linux training for (absolute) beginners, complete with a free box to
take home at the end of it. With the antenna upgrade  got most of the
local (easton) community is covered by free wireless accesses + there's
free to use boxes in a local pub. All told its a great project to be
working with. It might be possible to get someone down to talk at a
meeting if anyones interested. I know people are interested in
collaborating on training stuff.

> The current pricing of commercial antennas is such that you can buy two
> cheap access points for one well made low gain antenna, so there maybe
> other ways to skin a cat. Although better antennas still make more sense
> for most situations where range is the issue.

have a look at  http://flakey.info/ for homemade antenna there omni cost
them £2.93

Paul M