Re: [LUG] Mac and AOL

On Tuesday 25 Nov 2003 1:49 pm, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I recently wrote regarding experiences of connecting a Linux and a Mac.
> My reason for writing is that I would like to use AOL's free disk to
> connect to the internet and download various rpms etc.

If you ask nicely, I'm sure there are people on the list with broadband who'd
download things for you onto CD.

> I use Synaptic with RH9 but I only a 56k modem so cost of using Synaptic
> fully will be expensive and slow... And so using AOL I get to connect
> for free for up to 45 days, plenty of time to download and then when I
> need to I'll wait for the next offer!

And you don't think AOL have seen this coming?

> And so, is it possible for me to connect to the internet using a Mac
> connection?

AOL do support Mac's using OS9 but I'm not sure about OSX.

> Or a better way would be to use an internet cafe with Broadband and
> download the various rpms and then tell Synaptic to use a local ftp
> site, i.e. my computer to upgrade. Is this possible?

Expensive, potentially - you'll have to pay for the connection time. You could
try sites like Linux Emporium that offer custom CD-R burns from FTP mirrors.

--

Neil Williams