Re: [LUG] Laptop recommendations please

On Friday 28 Nov 2003 1:05 pm, James Wonnacott wrote:
> I'll be using Mandrake.
> Sound etc doesn't bother me.
> As far as network boot what I want to do is actually
> do a network boot off our Linux system which runs a thin client
> so I need a network interface which will do a remote boot.

It's a long time since I last looked at this, but I think you mean you need
one with a build in pxe client else you'll need to boot from floppy.
I don't know if such a beaty esists in a laptop.
Most laptops seem to work perfectly adequately with Linux, your decision will
ultimately depend upon how much you want to pay. I have an old dell latitude
233 and a sony GRX516MD both of which work fine. With the sony, I had to do
some kernel patching to get the ACPI working - as you may have to with most
new laptops.
I've not tried putting linux on a centrino yet as SWMBO has allowed me to have
one yet.

Jon L