[LUG] Urgent debian help needed! :-(

Sorry to bother you again but us n00bies keep breaking stuff in the
quest for linux knowledge and understanding ;-)

I did a "apt-get distupgrade" last night in order to upgrade my machine
to 'unstable'.  Which appear to work fine, except that the suspend
broke for some reason so I rebooted and when it came back, the
networking didn't work.  Indeed it appears PCMCIA card services are
completely defunct.

So I did a "/etc/init.d/pcmcia start" and it said "modprobe: can't
locate pcmcia_core".  There are in fact several pcmcia_core files on my
machine, but they are all for older kernel versions.  So I'm guessing
it's upgraded my kernel version but failed to install all the necessary
kernel modules.

So how do I now install the necessaries, given that my networking is
now broken?  Shall I roll back to an older kernel and install from
there?  How do I go about that?

Alternatively I could borrow a Windows machine (on an ADSL line) and
transfer via floppy or CD if I know what files I need, where to get
them from and how to install them on my laptop.

Any help much appreciated (as ever)!

Cheers,

Jon