[LUG] Backup server (was Re: [LUG])

On Tuesday 07 Oct 2003 16:41, Mark Harvey wrote:

> They have now been advised to have a second, backup, server. The package
> supplier has advised that the data will be copied at the end of day, which
> means that in the event of a failure, the data could be as much as one day
> out of sync. Is there a way that _we_ could implement a second server
> whereby that data was kept concurrent?
>
> I know there was an article on building a backup server in Linux Format a
> while back but AFAIR that used cron to copy the data and therefore it was
> not a fully concurrent system either.
>
> Any suggestions gratefully received.

Does the data *really* need to be up-to-the-second?
Would a cron job running an rsync every 10 or 20 minutes not be sufficient?

Alternatively, a method I find works well (as long as you're running Linux on
the server) is to have a machine standing by of a similar (preferably
identical) spec and configuration. Then when your main machine fails, simply
put the hard disks into the spare machine and power it up. Then when the
original machine is repaired, simply swap the drives back. Using hard disk
caddys makes this take a matter of seconds.

HTH,

David.

--
My other .sig is funny.