[LUG] gnoppix/debian modem probs

Hi!

I'm having trouble setting up my External Pace 56 voice modem in gnoppix/debian. My PC is standalone (do I need to set up any network stuff?).

I've been reading through various how-tos and made _some_ progress. However I now seem to have reached an empass!

I'm using wvdial to dial try and dial in to my new isp (uklinex.net). The modem dials the number and reports one of the following errors.

no dial tone (I have plugged a phone in and confirmed that there is a dial tone)
no carrier
or that the line is busy.

Below are the rough (because I had to type them) contents of a few related files....

/etc/ppp/peers/uklinux
# generated by pppconfif v2.0.10
hide-password
noauth
connect "usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/uklinux"
debug
/dev/ttyS0
57600
defaultroute
noipdefault
user roland
remotename uklinux
ipparam uklinux

/etc/chatscripts/uklinux
#generated by pppconfig 2.0.10
#ispauth PAP
#abort string
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' ABORT VOICE ABORT 'NO DIALTONE' ABORT 'NO DIAL TONE' ABORT 'NO ANSWER' ABORT DELYAED
#modeminit
" ATZ
#ipsnumber
OK-AT-OK ATDT08456042086
#isp connect
CONNECT \D\C
#prelogin

#ipsname
"name:" " ^Uroland"
#ipspassword
"word:" "\q*****"
#postlogin

/etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 80.84.72.25
nameserver 80.84.72.20

I can get the messages from /var/log/messages and wvdial.conf if these will help?

Also I have tried using

pppd call uklinux

This produces similar sorts of error messages in /var/log/messages to those that wvdial reports..

To be honest I'm not sure of the difference between pppd and wvdial. Perhaps someone could explain them to me as well!?

Thanks a lot for any help/advice

Best Wishes
Roland Tarver