[LUG] Introductory Linux course for the blind - Birmingham - November

Minority interest I guess.

Does anyone have contacts at the school for the blind in Exeter?

If so please pass this on.

I'd be happy to discuss any background they might want.

It is also the kind of event that I think the LUG funds ought to be used
to support, if someone needs some help convincing the powers that be to
send them.

Janina is a real expert, and it would be a pity to miss this chance.

Must be worth the fee for an explanation of ALSA from those who have no
choice but to master it ;)

 Simon

> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:19:44PM +0100, Jeremy.Ali@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > This event was *previously* available to Techshare delegates only.
Now due
> > to popular demand this event is now open to participants who are not
> > Techshare conference delegates.
> >

> > Linux Accessibility Step-by-Step - 10.00 - 16.00
> > Janina Sajka, Director - Technology Research and Development, American
> > Foundation for the Blind, USA
> >
> > Overview of workshop
> > This day long session will demonstrate the process of installing and
> > configuring Linux for use by a blind individual. The current Red Hat
> > distribution will be installed and augmented with speech and braille
> > interfaces. Additional configuration will include Ethernet and modem
based
> > networking and ssh for secure remote login. The Advanced Linux Sound
> > Architecture (ALS) will be installed to support voice over IP, and Real
> > media streaming, wav, MP3, and ogg creation and playback.
> >
> > Basic terminology will be covered, as well as the basics of installing,
> > updating, and removing software using the Redhat Package Manager (rpm).
> > Participants will be introduced to several available options for text
> > editing, email, and web serving and browsing. In all cases the
emphasis will
> > be on strategies for resolving problems and getting help using both the
> > installed system and on line resources. Participants will receive a
CD ROM

http://www.rnib.org.uk/xpedio/groups/public/documents/PublicWebsite/public_p