Re: [LUG] Installing drivers

On Saturday 18 Oct 2003 5:05 pm, timsmith09@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Posted by "Tim Smith" <timsmith09@xxxxxxx>
>

> I'm a complete newbie trying to install Redhat 9. Unfortunately my pc
> on-board sound wasn't detected. I downloaded an rpm package from Via and
> followed the installation instructions, no luck, just a list of errors.
> Could someone help me with this? --

The error messages are the first clues. Please post the error messages in all
posts regarding problems / queries.

Also, as much information as you can.

It's possible that RH9 hasn't picked up the right modules for the kernel to
operate the sound. Login as a normal user and start a terminal window (or
shell). Use su to temporarily become root in that console (type su ENTER and
type the root password). Now try:

modprobe emu10k1

Then type exit to return to ordinary user. Only use root when absolutely
required.

If there are no errors, your sound might be workable. Otherwise it's a case of
finding the right module for your setup and more information will be needed.

--

Neil Williams