Re: [LUG] Installing drivers

On Sunday 19 Oct 2003 11:36 am, Timsmith09@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Thanks for your help everybody.
>
> It was an IRQ conflict, unfortunately I can't mail you the logfile, my
> modem doesn't work. I've been trying to transfer the txt files to windows,

Linux usually mounts the windows drive automatically, just copy the files to
/mnt/windows and they will appear when you boot Windows in the C: drive. All
your windows folders appear and are writeable via Linux.

> no luck. I know windows doesn't recognise linux formatted floppies, and now

No, but Linux recognises and works fine with Windows (well, MS-DOS) formatted
floppies.

> testing with cds has given the same results.
> Perhaps I should wait for an install day. Unistalling linux seems the best
> option as it also prevents me from updating windows - 'Thanks for your

NO!!! It doesn't prevent you from updating windows - how do you figure that?
You gain nothing by uninstalling - you'll have to re-partition again to
recover the space.

> interest in windows' blablabla 'you have to be running windows to update'
> !!!

What are you trying to update?

If you want to use Windows-Update using the MS Windows website, you'll need to
get Windows running.
To update Linux using one of the RedHat online methods, you need Linux
running.

Are you saying that your Windows installation is buggered and you installed
Linux to try and download the patch? You can't expect an automatic patch to
work that way, you'll need to do a little fiddling so that the patch looks
for the windows data on /mnt/windows instead of C: The automatic patch
rightly expects Windows to be running and to be able to find C: There ARE
ways of doing this.

If you have been hit by a virus or something and you can't boot Windows, say
so here and there'll be plenty of ways to help. Even to the point of someone
else unpacking the patch on a working Windows partition, copying the files to
a Linux partition, re-packing and sending on to you. You then boot Linux,
unpack the files, move them to the correct parts of /mnt/windows and reboot.
(Easy!?)

I've done precisely this after accidentally deleting a 'vital' .dll on the
windows partition whilst messing around with Linux. (Forgot that /mnt/windows
was mounted! Ooops! rm -rf /mnt/*/*.dll was a bit of a blinder!) So I used
Wine to unpack a couple of cabinet files from the c:\windows\options folder
and then copied the .dll's back to c:\windows\system - it's OK now. (Still
waiting to get time to sort out TaxCalc via Wine before I can ditch windows
entirely).

The answer is available if you ask.

--

Neil Williams