Re: [LUG] OFF-TOPIC, but good for some cornish pc users

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:14:08 +0100
"Andrew Pearce" <arpearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Damn broadband!  Damn it!  DAMN IT!

(I'm a little annoyed)

I spent a little while (read: ages) checking out different ISPs, phoning them up and asking some fairly straight forward questions, etc, because I wanted to get ADSL.  I eventually decided to go with Virgin since they don't have this minimum of 12month contract rubbish - great as I don't know how long I'll be in Cornwall.  Now, my exchange (Helston) has been ADSL enabled for quite a while, when I phone up BT to enquire about it, then checked out the phonenumber/postcode and said "You have an amber line - you won't get a 1 or 2Mb service but there should be no problems with a 512k service."  So, I went ahead, signed up with Virgin and the engineer came around yesterday... not a snowballs chance in hell of getting an ADSL connection here!  The line loss was ridulously high - how on Earth I was an amber line with that sort of signal quality, I don't know!

Anyway, rant over!

> As part as a ACTNOW scheme,  7 exchanges are going to
> be broadband enabled by the 17th of December.
> The exchanges are
>
> Camelford
> Threewaters  (blackwater / chacewater area)
> Callington
> Lostwithiel
> Mevagissey
> St Day
> St Just
>
> Andrew
>

> --

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.