[LUG] Level 7 firewalling

I almost threw up at work today - I was told how much a box cost that filtered
everything going to a network except XML packets to a given port. We're
talking *tens* of thousands, and my employer is willing to part with that
money. This is the same employer that allows admins to log into root on
*broadcast critical* equipment via telnet. No, not ssh, telnet.

Long story semi-short, is there an iptables style thingee that can drop
packets based on their application layer content?