Re: [LUG] centralised management tools

On Wednesday 22 Oct 2003 5:38 pm, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> And, as far as i can see, this _cannot_ be done with Windows.
> (Because each Windows installation gets a unique SID as it is made, and
> demands someone read the EULA and so on.)  I might be worng on this, some
> of the mass installation stuff is obviously quite effective.

The mass installation stuff (OEM) still needs someone to accept the legal-ese.
It's so comforting to know that no-one has even tested the pre-installed
stuff before it leaves the warehouse. Not.

In theory, Linux is ideally placed because there is never a need for Linux to
calculate anything specific to one machine (with the exception of SSH/GnuPG
keys etc.) like a product key or similar. Install once on machine 1 and it
should be possible to copy onto every identical machine you can find with
just a LILO command at the end.

--

Neil Williams