[LUG] Redhat 9 Network - what do people think?

Having become a bit of a Debian fan thanks to Neil and Kai.... and
forced back to the commercial fold for a server build, and I'm beginning
to miss APT.

The test server install was very slick, and everything works swimmingly.

However the second package I needed from CD (I only missed two that I
needed so far), didn't install.... rpm hung.... Turns out this is a
threads thing the usual "LD_ASSUME_KERNEL" thing worked, so used that to
uprade to a later version of rpm.

Next problem was an idle moment between configuring applications figured
 I needed to sort out an upgrade (if only for SSH, but also I suspect
some low level library bugs, so I'll probably have to patch BEFORE
building the operational server).

Vaguely aware of the new "up2date" tool, so a quick glance at the man
page, and "up2date". The option I want scrolls of the top of the screen
(great, why do I think they mainly test it with X installed - curiously
Dell appear to preinstall X servers on their rack mounted servers,
perhaps I'm finding out why<sic>) - poke, bash, slap - finally persuade
up2date to use the local http cache - now "Certificate certified failed"
(turns out the shipped certificate is expired - okay this might be
Dell's fault - but why not "Certificate expired, please check for an
upgrade to package X", heck it was only released in April).

Upgrade rpm for up2date manually<sic>.... click bang whir.... well the
application has improved but zilch.... Athough it did launch a daemon
without so much as asking permission.

An automated email from Redhat a few minutes later holds another clue,
but by this time, what I'd assumed would be a simple and productive few
minutes setting an update in motion for security criticial patches has
become a headache, and I've gone back to more urgent (and productive)
activities.

- From a simplicity and configuration management perspective I can see me
doing the patching using "rpm". On the upside the Redhat website is very
clear and simple to understand on the issue of what patches I need.

But what I don't understand is that if I run a really archaic version of
up2date, on my Redhat 7mumble box, the error messages are comprehensible
and appropriate, and there is even an anonymous registraion option
(which gives a nice readable message about this not being implemented
any more<grr>).

Okay I can understand Redhat's desire to gather customer data, and
charge for enhancement updates, but they seem to be making it harder
just to download security critical patches (and it never was as easy or
as reliable as Debian, or even MS Windows 98).

Where is the value add of a big brand like Dell, and Redhat? So far it
seems to be limited to an Errata CD with kernel updates for the specific
hardware in this DELL range (a CD that has ample space for extra
Errata). Lokkit also seems to be more of a pain than a benefit, although
maybe it has some use in the home user market.

I'm sure once I finally get up2date working, I'll be suitably impressed,
but are they just making it too hard?

Is it me or did this get worse in the year or so I've been away?