Re: [LUG] Why no html

On Sunday 28 September 2003 8:29 pm, Mike Tidball wrote:
> > I'm sorry but Ive been using a computer for about 5 years and have
> > always been able to use html,surely linux isn't that far behind!
>
> --

Many(most) mail clients are html capable, it is just many people choose not to
accept html due to some of the security/privacy problems assoicated with
them. For instance i use kmail and if i recieve a html email it shows me the
source and gives me the option to view in real html form if i desire. I can
of cause set kmail to allow html always if i wish.

One example of html problems are spam emails that include "web bugs" that will
attempt to download a 1x1 pixel gif from a web site and the download address
is encoded with an id number indicating that you can recieve spam at that
address. There are other examples (espicaly in the windows world in
Outlook/OE of html mails automaticly being able to run code to install
worms/viruses).

There are also those die-hard console fans who like console based email
clients (although even these can if they require have a good go at displaying
a text only version of the html!).

(sorry that sounded like a rant)  :-)

Robin