Re: [LUG] Controlling multiple PCI NIC's

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 21:06, Neil Williams wrote:
> My nice new Debian box has three NIC's, one fixed IP and two DHCP. I have two
> PCI cards and one ISA.
>
> Every time it boots, it uses a different PCI  NIC for the fixed IP - it's
> getting a PITA because I have to scramble around under the desk changing the
> Cat5 all the b.. time.
>
> I've even got it now that it only brings up the fixed IP automatically but
> that's no odds either.
>
> What I can't understand is that when I ask ifconfig for confirmation, it
> claims to have used the same hardware address as last time - but it can't
> because I had to switch the cable to the other PCI card!!!

Do not enter these irq or port values when you reinput your network
settings, modern motherboards move things around when new pci cards
installed

> eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:78:1A:4E:55
>           Interrupt:10 Base address:0xdf80
> eth2      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:06:4F:04:C4:1C
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00

AS i understand it, with pci it will assign ports etc, according to the
pci slot they are in, wipe all you network settings from linux and
reboot with no network.

start the network setup again.

do not enter anything in the net settings for the pci cards, enter into
bios and assign each slot to pci or isa, pci/isa slot are numbered from
the cpu down, slot nearest the cpu.

then you should obtain a stable eth1 and eth2

> This is the ISA card - it can only do 10Mbits so I don't want to use this one
> as the default/fixed IP.
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:40:05:55:F4:29
>          Interrupt:9 Base address:0x300

You should be able to assign this irq in bios to isa?

> On top of that, it also seems to switch DOWN the speed of the port - if I
> fiddle with the box (using a second cable) I can get it back to 100Mbits but
> if I restart it with the same port, the lights come on for 100 but it won't
> respond to the LAN. When I switch the cable, lights come on for only 10, but
> I can make a connection. If I grab a second Cat5 and plug it in to either of
> the other cards, it always works.
>
> The ISA card never seems to be a bother (actually, it doesn't always come up
> when requested automatically either).
>
> What's going on?
>
> I haven't set up any sharing of the interfaces or masquerading or bridging,
> ipchains are clear (2.2 kernel).

good luck

Darren