Re: [LUG] Still a silly sound problem

On Thursday 04 Sep 2003 6:29 pm, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Hi, I am still having a silly sound problem in kde3.1.3 MDK9.1 K2.4.21.
>
> It seems that the devices in /dev/audio have the incorrect permissions. I
> have chgrp them to audio added myself to the audio group and set the
> permissions g+rw but after a reboot the /dev/audio devices have reset the
> permissions back to only the owner (root) having any access at all. It
> remembers the audio group however.
>
> If i set the permissions then run artsd it is ok but after a reboot artsd
> gets permission denied errors.
>
> Any ideas how to make /dev/ file permissions persistant?

DevFS will override manual settings, IIRC you need to get alsa to do it for
you. After I spoke to you at the Truro meeting, I watched my own Mdk9.1
system boot and there's a routine listed for restoring mixer setttings which
I'm sure is alsactl. That's the alsa-utils package. I can't remember if you
told me you'd checked alsactl - I know you described checking alsa but did
you install alsa-utils?

Interestingly, I just tried:
ll /dev/d* | grep crw--

Most are chown neil.audio - I KNOW I didn't set that.

I seem to remember Mdk9.1 warning me when I started up for the first few times
about one of the /dev/ permissions being wrong and the soundcard not working
at all, except as root. I thought it was /dev/dcp , but it looks like it was
actually /dev/dsp

Try setting that to root.root 777 initially. I think alsactl takes over from
there.

--

Neil Williams