Re: [LUG] HTML/CSS problem

On Wednesday 03 Sep 2003 6:10 pm, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 Sep 2003 1:03 pm, Jon Lawrence wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 Sep 2003 11:11 am, Jon Lawrence wrote:
> > > span.lt {
>
> span tags are not block items, they cannot be positioned absolutely, for
> that you need div.
>
> > > 	position:absolute;
> > > 	padding-left:10px;
> > > 	}
>
> Did you validate the page? The W3C validator will pick up on span tags
> outside of a div or p or other block tag.
The css code validated as ccs2.
The associated html validated as 4.01 transitional.

I did have the span tags surrounded by a div.
According to a book I've got at hand, span tags are generic containers for
defining document blocks. So I naturally assumed they could be positioned
absolutely. Looks like I was wrong, perhaps I'd better dig out a different
book.

Regards,
Jon