Re: [LUG] phpBB on a pentium 233

On Friday 22 Aug 2003 7:43 pm, Jamie Hill wrote:
> I work at Falmouth Community School and I have been able to install a
> Linux web server at Falmouth Community School with the permission of the
> IT manager.
>
> The distribution I chose was Slackware 9.0 and it is running on an old
> library computer - a pentium 233 MMX with 128MB RAM.
>
> My question is : Is the computer powerful enough to run phpBB (the
> brilliant bulletin board program www.phpbb.com) as it seems to run very
> very quick on our intranet at the moment?

YES. I run the LAMP platform on a Pentium 90MHz with 96MB RAM and it
outperforms all the other machines on my LAN because it doesn't have to run
KDE/Gnome/X.

> My main concern is, when the bulletin board gets discovered by a
> significant number of pupils, the response time of the server will
> degrade as the database gets bigger.

Not with MySQL - stick a newish hard drive in the machine, only install
precisely what you need (no extra servers or daemons, just Apache, PHP, MySQL
and SSH so that you can control it), don't install any X / KDE / Gnome
packages and it'll fly.

The biggest limitation might actually be the network card - your motherboard
may not have PCI and ISA cards may only give you 10Mbits not 100.

--

Neil Williams