Re: [LUG] problem with Gnome2.2 & sound

Daniel Palmer wrote:

Willi Tonsern wrote:

| I have AC'97 sound card, Debian, Gnome2.2
|
| 1.problem:
| As user root I can play and hear CDs using CD-Player (started from
Gnome2.2 Desktop Applications-Menu: Sound & Video)

Make sure your user(s) are members of the audio and cdrom groups so that
they have access to the soundcard and cdrom(s).

| This works only as user root - CD-player goes wrong when started from
an other user login

How exactly does it "go wrong" ?

in my installation there is a link from /dev/cdrom to /dev/cdrom0 and a further link from /dev/cdrom0 to /dev/hdc. The attributes of /dev/hdc are "brw-rw----" ; after changing the attributes for other all users can use the Gnome-CD-player now....thank you for the hint
But what means the abbreviation "hdc"??

| 2.problem:
| there is a tool "Sound preferences" (started from Desktop
Application-Menu: Desktop Preferences). With this tool the user can
attach sound-files (.wav) to events; in the GUI is a button in order to
check the sound of selected file: this doesn't work in my system;
neither as root nor as other user I can hear the sound

First thing to check is that you sound card has the correct module
loaded for it, use modconf and check that you've got the right module
loaded.

modconf offers 2 modules for my AC'97 card: "ac97" and "ac97_codec"; I tried both

The next thing to check is that its actaully working "$cat
/dev/urandom > /dev/dsp" should produce a lot of noise if its working.

.... on my system a lot of silence; but when my soundcard doesn't work - why I can hear CDs??
gnome-sound-recorder crashed with an error message; looking in the Gnome-Bugzilla data base now I guess we are speaking about error 110738; but I haven't any idea what I should do now. How could I hear my .wav-files?

I've found (with ALSA at least) that it can appear sound isn't working
because the main volume control has been turned right down and
applications only change the PCM volume control, to check this apt-get
aumix and check that the volume is up :).

Daniel.