Re: [LUG] 2 questions

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 05:23:04PM +0100, James Keasley wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 17:12, Neil Stone wrote:
>
> > Tonsern Wilhelm wrote:
> > | sorry for my poor English
> > |
> > | 1.Q: Is there a (logical) difference between "Netscape"(MS) and
> > | "Mozilla"(Linux) ?
> >
> > Yes... entirly different code base, one is open source the other is a
> > pile of.. M$ code...
>
> Neil, I think you need a bit more coffee, it looks like you are
> confusing Netscape (Open Source, Identical to the Win32 version of
> Mozilla, minus a few features and some eye candy[1], very similar to the

IIRC some of the features are simply switched off in Netscape's
version. Netscape also uses an older version of the code.

> Linux version of Moz, allowing for OS architecture differences)
> with IE, a nasty proprietary security hole running on your WIN32
> system just waiting for some bad man to feed it some funky data so it
> can screw up your computer.

But try explaing that to the kind of *****s who write Windows software
which requires MSIE installed, even though it has no web browsing
fuctionality. Because xyz DLLs and VB runtimes are needed, but no-one
knows exactly which these are. In other words the people who wrote
the program don't actually know how it works...