[LUG] Run levels - am i on the right track with the explanation

I am not 100% sure if I am right about this, so if not please correct me.

> Hi Neil et al
>
> Thank you all for your advice, it worked a treat: absolutely no problems
at
> all.
>

> I have a couple of questions though:
> - what is a run level?

Essentially different run levels are for different tasks, for example when
you shutdown it jumps to I think level 6 which goes through the process of
removing running programs and eventually running the routine that should
enable APM to power the computer off.

On most systems run level 3 is a console with i think multi user
capabilities, where as run level 1 is a simpler single user mode, which i
guess is why you use it to install the nvidia drivers and stuff you can also
use this for troubleshooting etc

run level 5 gives you a Xwindow system so it boots into X.

Its impotant to be running out of level 5 if making changes to X setups (and
use start X to start the Xwindow system) otherwise it is constantly trying
to get into x and you get that screen flashing,  or you get other weird

> - what does the command init 1 etc mean and do?

If I understand previous mails init 1 switches into single user mode, by
closing down some tasks and perhaps starting others to suit,   it saves
rebooting the system.

The whole thing is very configurable with a drag and drop set up tools where
you can decide what you want to run at each level,  if you check out the
current issue of linux magazine they have a article on securing the system
security, which involvces removing running processes

I guess the MS equilveltnet for 9x is the start menu where u can get either
just plain MS dos or WIndows 9x starting up,  but init is far more powerful,
In windows you have to reboot the system if u want to restart in ms dos,
where as in *nix environments you just use init,

type
 man init
 for more information