Re: [LUG] RH 9.x

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 09:59, Neil Stone wrote:

> I have installed and run RedHat 9 for a little while.. In all honesty I
> am disapointed... It was very slow, took all the RAM and CPU available
> even filled the swap... After 30 mins I was able to get myself logged in
> (30 mins after entering username/password) to a useable state.

On what hardware? I have just given a redhat 9 installation course to
several people on 128MB, 400MHz machines and it was fine. Today we
looked at the desktop and it was slow...but worked. OpenOffice, yup slow
- took a minute or two to load. Mozilla and evolution, better but not
ideal. Most other general things were quick enough. The login/logout bit
was fine. For a 2hour course we wouldn't have got far if it took 30mins
to login! :-)

My understanding is that 'severn' will become redhat 10 - I didn't think
RH were using point numbers anymore.

John.