Re: [LUG] Linux not booting

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 17:38, gemma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> after booting from redhat installation CD but it had no effect. Trying to
> enter rescue mode from the installation CD gives me a couple of white
> vertical lines which shift to random positions on the screen every 2
> seconds or so.

What graphics card do you have?
You could try starting the RH installation by typing "linux lowres" and see if
that makes any difference, or you could as Neil suggested, install in text
mode.

> This is the complete error message:
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 84: /bin/grep: Permission Denied
> Configuring kernel parameters:  Error: /proc must be mounted
>   To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
>       /proc   /proc   proc     defaults
>   In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
>

> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 1: /bin/awk: Permission Denied
> Your system appears to have shut down uncleanly
> Press Y within 3 seconds to force file system integrity check...y
> /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 1: /bin/awk: Permission Denied
> Checking root filesystem
> Couldn't open /proc/partitions: No such file or directory
> Is /proc mounted?
>

> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell.
> Give root password for maintenance

Sounds like a real mess. I suggest you reinstall, then I'm sure someone on the
list can help with getting your modem set up again.

David.