Re: [LUG] wireless musings

On Monday 21 Jul 2003 2:40 pm, Steve Marvell wrote:
> I was wondering, ...
>
> What experiences have people got of wireless ethernet at home?

It works quite well for my setup (at work) . I've placed a wireless access
point up stairs and it has only one partition wall to reach the main factory
or one floor to reach my office. I can also get good signal anywhere in the
factory (must be about the size of two two floor houses).

My worst case is two 4" walls, altough the bandwitdth drops down it is still
usuable.

Alu foil or metal can make good sheilds but it the frequencys concerned so
does concrete blocks! As mentioned it is line of site and you need to be in
free air as much as is physicaly possible.

I would recomend a wireless access point (WAP) as well just run a ethernet to
your roof and fit the WAP there, you could fit one each end to maximise
coverage?

You would not get much if any advantage using an attenna over sticking the WAP
in the roof. As WAP's are quite small it seems a lot of hassle runing a coax
up there with extra attenuation.

Robin