Re: [LUG] Scanner problems

Sounds like a driver/backend problem to me. If there is
activity on the usb port the usb side is probably working.

First look in /etc/saned/dll.conf and see if your scanner is
the only one uncommented. If not make sure it's the ONLY
one uncommented. Bear in mind that some scanners are
re-badged versions. ie my Medion MD 4394 is actually a
re-badged Artec eplus48 usb scanner.

Second does your Sane version require the Windows driver
(supplied with your scanner). Looking in the config file for your
scanner in /etc/saned/ will confirm this as it will have a
"Pointer to Firmware file" entry. I installed mine from the
CD supplied with the scanner into /usr/local/SaneMSdriver/
and set the "Pointer to Firmware file" option to point to it.

Failing all this google to the Sane site and check your
scanner is supported. if it is download and compile the
latest Sane version. or rpmfind the latest Sane rpm for your
distro. There is a lot of help on Sane installation and config
on the Sane site.
(If I remember there was also a site called "crapsite"
which dealt solely with Sane and usb scanners. You'll
have to google for it as I can't remember the URL.)

I managed to get my cheapo Median Md 4394 usb scanner
working under SuSE 8.0 but only after downloading and
compiling the latest driver from the Sane site. Luckily I
had no problems with SuSE 8.2 nor the Windows firmware
file.

Keith

On Sunday 29 June 2003 1:27 pm, luc_hands@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've been trying to get my scanner (a umax astra 3400 (usb) to work under
> redhat 9. Starting up xsane, it is detected correctly, but when i try to
> scan something it just moves the lamp ~ 1 inch onto the scanner bed and
> then emits a high pitch noise (which doesnt sound too healthy) before
> moving back.
>
> Any ideas about how i can fix this??
>
> Thanks
>
> Luc
>
> --

SuSE 8.2 on ECS K7S5A/XP with 1.2GHz Athlon, 384MB RAM, Maxtor 20GB HD and
using KDE's Kmail