RE: [LUG] Linux roadshow,

Kai wrote:

>I warrant these people aren't linux experts.

Probably not ... but then IMO there is no such thing as an expert you just
have more or less of experience (this goes for any subject matter not just
linux). People call me an expert because they dont understand how little I
know, so they assume I am an expert.

The point (i think) is that this company is prepared to go and sell linux (
what ever their motivation ) thus raising the profile of linux / OSS as an
alternative. One would hope however that LUG's across the country are at
least putting out feelers to schools in their area, to ensure that they are
getting a proper (balanced ?) perspective on what OSS can and can not do for
them. One would hope that schools would not just sign on the dotted line (
like they did / (still do ?) with Microsoft products).

>I pray they show linux in a light it deserves, instead of using Linux as a
means of selling their servers.

Me too ! In the mean time I am also perpared to help and advise any "local"
school who is willing to listen. Sadly, I suspect that the schools that
approach open source communtities about OSS alternatives are the ones that
are less likely to just sign the dotted line, while the schools that need
good balanced advice are more likely to sign up without too may questions
(what ever they sign up for). We (the open source community) need to address
this issue head on.

I noticed that LXF have now started a small column in the back of their mag
(after the lug lists) about advocacy (and specificly school advocacy). IMO
the only way to get schools online with linux is to go out into the
community and put them online. If we dont do it ourselves then the "man with
a van" (or should that be server box) will come and do it for us, at cost +
premium. Do we have the right to complain if he does ? Im not even sure that
the quality of what I am intending to do for schools in the Torbay area is
any better, however I do know what I am charging, and can sleep at night
knowing I am contributing back (some of what I have taken) to the OSS
community in my own small way.

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.