Re: [LUG] ADSL - Bandwidth Hunger

On Monday 16 June 2003 10:28 am, Simon Waters wrote:
> With two lines at 1:50 you are probably contending with yourself so load
> balancing wouldn't help with contention much I suspect, depending how
> they implement the sharing at/behind the exchange.

sometimes you will get faster 50:1 than you will 20:1.  Infact, in most
buiness areas, or where people thought they'd be better of getting 20:1, it's
actually a lot slower.

I have a 2mbit (20:1) line, a 512k (20:1), and a 512k (50:1) line.  At times
the 512k 50:1 line is faster than 20:1 lines, and i know it's not contention
on our HG...

> Since they are probably both plugged into the same DSLAM in the same
> exchange, I doubt it would help much with reliability, either!

Well, re reliability, yes,, it can help.  if the dslam dies, you wibble too,
but there is a lot after that that is seperated on the home/business front
that could, and does break.

> <plug for free software>Without knowing more about your requirements it
> is hard to comment. I believe UKFSN.ORG are launching an ADSL service
> imminently. </plug for free software>
>
> Wonder if Theo does ADSL...

Of course :)

> I think doing the Office again I'd use a hosted fax service - fax to
> email, for incoming. As for business lines, is distinctive ring an option?

I made the distinctive ring mistake.  Now i get about 50 calls a day on it,
and the only was i can divert is by diverting my whole line (personal and
private) to the companies 0845xxx number.  I've had to train all of support
that if they get an odd sounding greek person that is screaming down the
phone, just put them through to me :-p

I'd really advide against distinctive ring, unless you have a company give you
an 0845/0870 number on that which then rings the distinct number..

Altough we don't "officialy" do 0845/0870 -> landline number thing, if you are
stuck for a company to do it, drop me an email.

> I went ISDN myself, still the only offering here, but the bills are
> rather big for a dosmetic telephone user once you add in Anytime. So I'd
> err on the side of not committing to big annual contracts unless the
> busiess/office needs clearly dictate it, distinctive ring, plus 50:1 ?!

I was using 0845 isdn2e for 8 months here until the exchange finally got
enabled last week again.

OK, so we did actually get a lot of the revenue back - but thats besde the
point.  My phone bills were scary.

 ~ Theo

- --
Theo Zourzouvillys