Re: [LUG] ASP vs Anything (was RE: Faking http headers)

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
> On Sunday 25 May 2003 5:24 pm, Paul Weaver wrote:
> > Why do so many companies buy into the IIS/NT/ASP proprietry route? What is
> > so great about ASP (active server page, not application service provider)
> > that hundereds of jobs wanting ASP skills are posted on monster.com each
> > week?

Often they don't know better. ASP is shockingly useless. If you have no
time or experience then you will follow the biggest loudest signs and end
up with mediocre-at-best technology that will make life difficult - but MS
end-users are already used to that with windows and think it normal.

> cheap coders.

Actually ASP coders, even inexperienced are not very cheap. Perl
developers are often cheaper and better qualified except at the very low
end (i.e. office junior self-taught from ASP for dummies), and most ASP
developers are very inexperienced or worse still have a very narrow
experience of re-implementing the same thing over and over (code re-use,
decent components, standards and basic design principles are pretty much
absent from the ASP world).

> have you ever tried finding 12 mod_perl coders to come work in an office in
> london?

Very few tasks require 12 mod_perl coders. A couple of good coders can
produce a great deal relatively quickly.

> I have, and it's impossible - i had to train people myself instead..

Any decent graduate should be able to pick up perl fairly quickly, anybody
with programming experience (in real languages like C, etc as opposed to
ASP or PHP) should pick it up in no time.

There is so much reference material and learning books on perl, there is
not excuse not to learn it. After all after BIND, Apache and sendmail it
is what keeps the internet running.

A.