Re: [LUG] Faking http headers

On Monday 26 May 2003 11:05 am, Robin Cornelius wrote:

> Yes but its been like this for a long time. More to the point there is not
> browser compatibillity problem, only one they have inforced! . I mentioned
> before i use konqeuror no probs. The only requirements are javascript
> client side. Yes they use ASP pages but they dont appear to use VB script
> client side so it dosn't matter. I think the usual problem with ASP is that
> it goes hand in hand with VB script so that causes problems for non VB
> script clients.

Currently, I'm using v3.0.3 and it doesn't work.

> As for their standard reply, and i quote from Peters email
>
> "When developing our Internet service, NatWest Online technicians were
> fully aware of the existing variety of industry-supplied browsers, wide
> range of Internet Service Providers and array of operating systems
> available in the public domain. As full technical support could not be
> given to this plethora of options, the decision was taken to sustain the
> most commonly used products."
>
> Where exactly are they defining their support boundaries. They will tell
> you to reconfigure internet explorer? or netscape? what if it is netscape
> running on Linux will they have a clue about any differences?. What about
> registry settings etc. or reinstalling internet explorer if their site
> dosn't work.
>
> Surely the only thing they can tell you is specific buttons to press or
> things to type in on their site, otherwise especialy on IE/Windows system
> where the integration is so tight they are implying that their support
> boundarys cover the entire operating system!

I was also puzzled by this use of the word "support". I took it as an excuse
that they were lazily coding with non-standard stuff that MS likes but this
would not explain the peculiar "support" for an earlier version of netscape.
Note they only like MS Windows, which again is odd as standards in browsers
should be OS independent - as you imply.

I feel another rollicking email to Natwest coming :)  I'll also investigate
upgrading my browser.

Peter