Re: [LUG] FW: Open Source: Just what the doctors ordered

On Thursday 22 May 2003 22:12, you wrote:
> That is Great Great news
>
> It may be only one small step, but its in the right direction
> and could be the beginning of a giant leap for OS in health
> care. This gets my full appreciation

Well, it is only email, but yes.

Meanwhile iN N&E Devon the health community has had Exchange
Server collections of increasing size and cost rebuilt on at
least two occasions, and still had a considerable outage week
before last.

NHS mail systems have a tendency to fall over on Friday evening,
and restart about coffee time on Monday.

NHS mail systems have a tendency to be based on Microsoft
Exchange Server, with the only working functions available being
email.  Never mind, perhaps one day the Exchange diary stuff
will be allowable, and then a few years after that, people will
decide that their diaries may be available when they need them
if they put them on there.

Meanwhile, I am looking at Evolution in SuSE 8.2 which is
looking fairly capable now, and our scretariat is doing very
nicely with shared diaries using Lotus Organiser.  I wonder if
that wil be ported to Linux, what with IBM and mitch Kapor both
showing interest in the area.

--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/