[LUG] Dual-booting Debian/Mandrake: informational posting

Hi all,

You might have been enjoying the relative peace and quiet recently
without my contast pestering - my hard disk crashed on my desktop PC
(it was only 11 months old, too: I guess I should be grateful that it
was still under warranty), which means I've been put offline, as my
new laptop doesn't have a serial port...

Incidentally, can anyone suggest (or sell me!) a linux compatible USB
or PC Card 56K modem?  I rooted around on the 'Net but I couldn't find
much.

This was going to be a question, but I answered it myself, I thought
I'd post it for future reference.  Plus it proves I do fix *some*
things myself without pestering you lot ;-)

--
Anyway, to the subject of the post.  I've managed to install Mandrake
9.1 and Debian 3.0 on seperate partitions on my laptop.  I couldn't

So I copied the Debian "vmlinuz" image into /boot and added a section
in the current lilo.conf for it (and ran "lilo").  This works as far
as booting the image, etc., but it then says words to the effect of
"can't find init, try passing the init= option".

For the Mandrake definition in lilo.conf, it has a line
"initrd=/boot/initrd.img", which points to a "mdk" version of init.

The debian "init" is in /sbin/init - just pass "init=/sbin/init" to
the kernel (in the "append" line) and it all works 8-)

Wow, doesn't that make me feel clever ;-)

Jon