[LUG] Wireless & WEP

I've finally got round to dabbling with wireless networking and I'm having some
issues setting up wep on the network.  I appreciate that wep isn't very secure,
but it's better than nothing and I'll implement ipsec over it at some point
anyway....

I've got a Bufallo access point and cards.  Working unencrypted these work
perfectly (without wireless-tools installed) until I try and configure wep.

I can get wep working if I enable the interface and then install wireless-tools
and use iwconfig to set the wep key on the interface, but when wirless-tools is
installed when pcmcia_cs starts the card emits lots of traffic and eventually
fails to start.  Starting pcmcia_cs without wireless-tools installed it starts ok.

I've tried setting KEY="s:key" in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts but this seems to
make no difference to the problem when starting pcmcia_cs

I can't seem to find any appropriate log/dmesg entries to point in a helpful
direction.

This sytem is:
Red Hat 7.3
wireless-tools-23-2