Re: [LUG] FWD: RE: Argos.co.uk with Mozilla

Reaaalllyy.... well lets see if we can break the site shall we ? ;-)

Fast reply, methinks they have many complaints

===== Original Message From Order Enquiries <Order.Enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxx>

===== Dear Mr Weaver,

Thank you for your e-mail and we apologise for the delay in response.

I have looked into your query, the Argos website is currently compatible
using the most widely used browsers, such as Netscape and Internet Explorer.
We regularly monitor browser usage trends and development work is continuing
to ensure that the Argos website is accessible to as many people as
possible, using a multitude of browsers. In the meantime, may I take this
opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.

May I also inform you that we are due to launch a new site within the next
few weeks which will be compatible with a wider range of browsers.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us
at order.enquiries@xxxxxxxxxxx, alternatively to speak to an agent please
call 0870 600 8784.

Regards,

Lynsey Greatbatch. Argos Direct Customer Services.

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Weaver [mailto:P.J.Weaver@xxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: 07 May 2003 20:10 To: order.enquiries2@xxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Argos.co.uk with Mozilla

As a linux user, I dont use Internet Explorer. If you want to discriminate against at least 5% of your potential customers, or rather, reduce your
sales
by at least 5%, then that's your problem. I find it hillarious, however,
that
if I change my User Agent string to pretend I use Internet Explorer 6 on
Windows XP, many features on the site work fine, and I found the item I
wanted - a Ferguson T70171RI 28in NICAM TV, £229.99, Cat.No. 537/4016, very

quickly.

Perhaps you would care to halt your crusade against a growing proportion of Linux, Mac, and Windows users that prefer the flexibility of Mozilla? I fail

to understand why you cant cope with using existing standards to make your site available to all your customers, including customers covered by the various accessability laws in force in the UK.

--
Paul Weaver