Re: [LUG] Making universities more Linux aware.

On 02-May-2003 at 10:08:12 Andrew Rogers wrote:
> The Computing Services don't support Linux, I don't need their support
> but they wouldn't even tell me the SMTP relay name! I found it by
> reading headers of emails.

You didn't ask the postmasters then...I am one of them. Who did you ask
about linux? Any such requests are usually put through to me. The 'support'
people are...er...basic. They probably have no idea what an smtp relay is.
What did you use as the relay?

> What can we do to inform universities such as Plymouth that Linux really
> does exist?

Oh, they know it exists :-)

> BTW, how many LUGers are studying/working at the University of Plymouth?

Yup I work there (here). I'm the sun system admin and use redhat linux as my
desktop.

I have offered to give an 'intro to linux desktop' course over the summer
break for the ICS (Information and Communications Services (aka 'Computing
Service')) people. I expected only 4 or 5 replies. I have 19 wanting to do
the course!

The issue of open-access relates to the University's offered 'desktop' to
staff and students. At present this is still (generally) NT, but any new
PC's, etc should be running W2K or XP. I think all the open-access PC's are
being upgraded over the summer, so they'll change to XP I suspect.

At present the Uni's desktop is still with Windows.

There is no Mac support because we have no-one who knows enough about Macs!
A very sad story because the one guy we had who was brill with Mac's left -
all the Uni's fault. There are one or two people who use Mac's but the level
of support is pretty much non-existant.

The Unix/linux support is me. But because I have a dozen sun systems and
half a dozen linux boxes to look after, I am very busy. Since I am the only
person, the Uni would have to throw out the apps team, the server team, and
probably a bunch of others because they are all windows people. If you want
linux support then we need more staff, and the Uni won't employ anyone to
help me. So, no support (as such).

John.