Re: [LUG] Making universities more Linux aware.

At Exeter be assured that linux is made to work quite hard in a variety of
environments. In the Sciences  where Unix was traditionally the OS of choice,
Linux is to be found in use on the desktop and behind the scenes providing
file sharing and number crunching facilities. Linux has enabled the
replacement of Sun and Silicon Graphics workstations with much cheaper
(though perhaps a little more unreliable) P.C. hardware. I  would be
surprised if a similar situation did not exist at Plymouth.

Indirectly Linux and Open Source software has spawned a range of tools that
enable our technical staff access to tools that would otherwise eat up a
significant budget.  Tools such as Memetest-86, Parted and Partition Image
are freely available and allow a tight budget to stretch a little further.
(Partition Magic Pro 5 user is currently around £160 so I suspect that the
full technician version for unlimited use could approach £1k)

I hesitate to say how many Linux systems are in use at Exeter . But a mass
rollout of Linux boxes for undergraduate use across the Uni would appear to
be quite unlikely.

--
Phil Vossler
Electronics Workshop