Re: [LUG] We got the CD burner working...

On Saturday 26 April 2003 8:44 pm, Kai Hendry scribbled:
> You should never fix problems (or upgrade) by re-installing the entire
> system. It's silly, but if you are coming from a Windows background

Saying its always silly is as innacurate as saying its never silly. If you do
a "rm -Rf /" and dont ctrl-c it for a couple of minutes, your best bet is
restart from scratch (or a backup). Similar to apt-get remove libc6, which
removes almost every package from your system (including apt-get, bash, sh,
dpkg etc).

In most cases getting a system back up and working quickly is the most
important thing. If Jonathan knew how to use vi (Winning that oreilly book at
the Installfest at Exeter uni 2 years ago was invaluable), and had some
different experience, he might have fixed it in 5 minutes, not the 5 hours a
backup/reinstall takes. I suspect that lilo was the cause, although I dont
know about the background of the case.

However he didnt. Backup/restore was the fastest, cheapest way of getting back
up and running. OK, he doesnt learn anything, but perhaps he'll learn a
little vi now, or ae, pico, nano or another CLI editor thats usually
available.

I try to never re-install, and I havent for years. In fact I havent recompiled
my kernel for almost 2 years (2.4's been out that long! Wheres time gone!).

I was pleased with myself for fixing it when my fat32 drive went root-only
readable (executable). But I'm a home user, I wasnt spending £30/hour on lost
buisness, so I could afford to play arround for a while.

Sometimes re-install is the best option because of the speed. Perhaps you dont
learn from your mistakes so next time the error comes up you dont know the
easy fix, however at that time, in that situation, you want the computer
working again.

Remember a computer is a tool. If your drill breaks, you buy a new one instead
of taking it apart and trying to figure which wire has melted.