Re: [LUG] knoppix

Brough, Tom wrote:

Ok Ok.... Just to let you know ...

I took 1 weeks leave from TC last week and spent a couple of days with
Howard Lunn @ Churston Grammer. We managed to set up a LTSP (using K12LTSP)
server and a couple of clients, as a proof of concept. We also managed to
get authentication through the exisiting NT PDC (thanks for the tips Simon)

Cool.. Any chance of a few links, I am interested in anything new...

. We also set up a PXE based workstation. Usual problems with X
configuration on the client but we got there. Now looking at locking down
the Bluecurve (GNOME). Worked out how to fix the menus, however does anyone
out there know how to remove the "Run Programs" option from the GNOME menu,
preferably without having to hack the source ?

Never needed to.. but again I would be interested.. stop the other 1/2 from screwing things up in my absence... clicking random menu items and then teling it to run somthing.. then expects me to be able to fix it ?

What problems with X ?

I think Howard was impressed.  He wants to set up a small suite in the
library providing basic "office tools" and web browsing. Hes had a donation
of some old machines, and its either a case of finding licences for MS,
using Linux or dumping them. He has also ordered two "thin client" PC's
(Using Via's mini-itx boards again with PXE built in) and a server.

What are the spec of these ? and where is he getting them from ? I have looked at reviews of these systems and they look quite good...

One quick question.. how would sound work over a "thin client" system if at all ?

We are taking small tentative steps towards open source solutions, and its
very early days but at least the ball is now rolling.

Tom.

Excellent.. thats what we like to see... power to the penguin...