Re: [LUG] Starmax 3000

On Wednesday 02 April 2003 2:23 pm, Keith Abraham wrote:
> My brother is looking for a Umax Starmax 3000 computer.

It may yet return to the 'for sale' list - I'm not having much joy with it.

It doesn't want to play with the network card and (horror of horrors) I can't
seem to get Linux running on it. (Haven't got a lot of time to spend on it
either). Andrew did mention he recompiled the kernel to get the network card
working under Linux PPC (the CD is dated 1999 so it's not going to be KDE3!!)
but I was hoping to experiment with it as a Mac on the home network. The card
shows a good connection but the driver doesn't seem to operate. If I had more
time, I'm sure I'd get Linux running on it but that wasn't really why I
wanted to play with a cheap Mac - I wanted to get it on the network as a Mac.

There's no monitor with it (Andrew may still have the spare monitor that he
originally offered for sale with the StarMax) and I'm afraid I was a bit
unlucky with the Mac keyboard cable - it works fine with a PS/2 keyboard and
mouse but the original Mac keyboard will need a replacement cable (which I
keep forgetting to arrange to collect from Andrew).

30quid to a good home. (Manuals, Mac OS7, various other Mac CD-ROM's,
increased RAM (now 96Mb) CD-writer and CD-ROM, Linux CD's). Will need an
external modem to get online. Network card will remain installed just in
case. Mac keyboard and Mac mouse included - new cable required.

--

Neil Williams

http://www.wewantbroadband.co.uk/