[LUG] Compiling RPMs - Newbie Guide please :)

Hi All,

As you've probably gathered by now I'm a total complete and utter newbie
to Linux (despite 18 years break.. err.. I mean using other OSs).  I'm
trying to compile the RPM for blackbox (if you remember my query earlier
about small distros you'll know why :o)).

Using KDE 3.0 in Mandrake 9.0 at the moment (yes this is the faster
machine... Athlon 2400+).  Anyway, GCC is installed but I get the
following pile of unmentionable trying to configure it with Konsole:

[julian@xxxxxxx julian]$ su -
Password:
[root@xxxxxxx root]# cd ..
[root@xxxxxxx /]# cd home/julian/download
[root@xxxxxxx download]# cd blackbox-0.65.0
[root@xxxxxxx blackbox-0.65.0]# ./configure
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... no
checking for g++... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.
[root@xxxxxxx blackbox-0.65.0]#

A wild stab in the dark says those "no" answers are my problem here.
Suggestions how to make them nice shiny "yes"s? :))  Oh and I spose
those "missing" entries might be a hitch too? :)  Doh!

Kind regards,

Julian