Re: [LUG] Do other LUG Members find X a pain to configure ?

I have mixed ideas on this one, on the one hand it's much easier than it
was, it detects my card, ok but cos nvidia produce separate drivers i have
to download them (but in windows 98 i have the same situation only the
drivers are on the cdrm).  This is not an issue it works;  With Linux set up
suse 8.1 i need to reboot about once, with windows its about 6 times when i
install, if I am lucky, it then finds hardware and can't find either drives,
or there are other problems so Linux / X is easier in that respect but I
have been using linux for some time and know how to get round some of the
problems. In fact 3.1 is easier to set up than 98 simply cos 3.1 did not
have plug and play.

Personally installing Linux can be a pleasure, installing windows or even
facing the fact that it's been running for a few months and needs re doing
fills me with dread,  and i put it off till the computer is even slower,
simply because windows is a nightmare to set up.  Once I have got round to
fixing the problem with the cd devices, (easter hols hopefully) I can start
using Linux more, well for more than just ksirtet.  If broadband worked it
would be even better, but that can wait till i can afford to buy the right
hardware in the meantime it works with my 98 laptop, so I am happy.

What i would like to see in Linux is

Name of user displayed on either screen or on the menu (k menu or whatever)
like you get with windows, only go further and have a button which allows
you to get info, e,g how long logged on,  last log on time etc

Automatically install XFCE if this is going to work better than XFree86, esp
as the system can detect amount of ram so for less than say 64 mb it uses
XFCE other wise it uses XF86 what 3/4 or when released 5. BUT I want to be
told, what is going on and be allowed to override,if i want to.

paul

Paul