[LUG] OT: Interesting exercise in Philippines

Hi,

Hope you don't mind, cross positing this from the Philippine Linux Users
Group (PLUG). Its interesting what they are proposing but it could backfire,
I always feel that any exercise like this is a testament to the skill of the
administrators as much as it is to the security and stability of the
operating system / applications. Given a newbie team of Linux Admins and a
highly capable Windows CE team, which would you put your money on. Having
said that most of the PLUG group are switched on Admin types.

Pity I couldn't get the clearance for an all expenses paid fact finding tour
to Manila though ;-)

Tom.

PLUG People/Penguins!

This is a call for volunteers.  PLUG has been requested to field
volunteers to defend the Linux boxes they will deploy in the ManilaCon
Hackers convention in May.  (details on http://www.isssp.org.ph)

We will be given 3 days to bring online a hardened server with
a specifically chosen set of services to offer.  Come convention time
hackers of all types of 'hats' will do what they can to compromise the
Linux server.  Note that PLUG will be responsible for the Linux box, and
Microsoft will be responsible for NT/2K, and there will also be entries
for a Sun/Solaris box, and a MAC.

Our job is to make sure that the box is impregnable, impenetrable, and
also _useful_.  It doesn't count if we disconnect it from the net, power
it down, dismantle it and bury it under several layers of bedrock,
concrete and solid steel.

So what is this actually?

It's a chance to practice what we preach.  All the stuff we publicly
advocate will be put to use against very potent adversaries.

It's a chance to publicly defend Linux against a hacker community which
some dread, or maybe even fear.  This is as much in the public eye as it
will ever be.  This is where the FUD against open source being insecure
due to its very 'openness' will finally be proven or disproven.

It's a chance to put our own knowledge in securing linux up against the
best and latest hacking tools used by them 'kiddies'.

Best of all it's a very good learning experience for all those who will
volunteer.

So if you think you have enough skills to make the team PenguiGnus. drop
me a line publicly or privately.  We're forming the PLUG Dream Team.

Ian

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council