[LUG] GPL-ing

I need to share some of my work using the GPL. Over the Easter break I intend GPLing a Matrix library which I have started work on.

From the GNU website

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html

"There is no legal requirement to register your copyright with anyone; simply distributing the program makes it copyrighted. However, it is a very good idea to register the copyright with the US Registry of Copyrights, because that puts you in a stronger position against anyone who violates the license in the US. Most other countries have no system of copyright registration."

Does the U.K. have a 'system of copyright registration'?

Once I have GPLed my work I intend asking the FSF to post a link to my website. Would this help protect the copyright?

Regards
Andrew