Re: [LUG] Roll-your-own firewall

On Saturday 29 Mar 2003 12:30 pm, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:22:00 +0000, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
> > I'm trying to "roll my own" block-everything-external type firewall,
> > based loosely on Kai's instructions at:
> > http://db.cs.helsinki.fi/~hendry/faqwiz/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq01.020.h
> >tp However, I'm falling at the first hurdle:
> >
> > [root@xxxxxxxxx jon]# iptables -F
> > [root@xxxxxxxxx jon]#  iptables -A block -m state --state NEW -i ! ppp0
> > -j ACCEPT
> > iptables: No chain/target/match by that name
>
> Oops. It seems that I have forgotten to include this command:
> iptables -N block
>
> That creates a 'chain'.
>
> I hope that works, any other problems/comments please mail me.

Thanks, that did the trick!

It also didn't seem to like save_active:

[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]#  /etc/init.d/iptables save_active
Usage: /etc/init.d/iptables {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status|panic|save}
[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]#  /etc/init.d/iptables save
Saving current rules to /etc/sysconfig/iptables:                [  OK  ]

I dunno what it should be, hopefully just "save" is what was required.

Unfortunately now my outgoing connections seem to be completely buggered :-(

I did this:

[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]# iptables -N block
[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]# iptables -A block -m state --state NEW -i ! ppp0 -j
ACCEPT
[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]#  iptables -A block -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED
-j ACCEPT
[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]#  iptables -A block -j DROP
[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]#  iptables -A INPUT -j block
[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]#  iptables -A FORWARD -j block

And now my iptables look like this:

[root@xxxxxxxxx jon]#  iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
block      all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
block      all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy DROP)

Chain LD (0 references)

Chain SANITY (0 references)

Chain STATE (0 references)

Chain UNCLEAN (0 references)

Chain block (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state NEW
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere           state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

What've I done wrong?

Cheers,

Jon