Re: [LUG] CD-CD copy

Thanks, you were exactly right, so for the record, this is how to do it:

** Idiot's guide to getting your CD-Rom drive recognised by your CD writing
software (by an idiot, for idiots) **

1.  Find out which device your CD-Rom drive is.  You can find this, for
example, in the Mandrake Control Panel "hardware" section (HardDrake), or by
playing about with the "eject" command until the right drive ejects!

2.  Become root.  Edit /etc/lilo.conf with your favourite text editor.  To
newbies like me, that might mean typing "su" into the command line, followed
by "kwrite /etc/lilo.conf" or "joe /etc/lilo.conf"

3.  Find the section that corresponds to the "image" you normally boot (read
the "label=" bits)

4.  Under this section, append to the "append=" line, "<your
CD-Rom>=ide-scsi".  Eg. for me it says "hdc=ide-scsi".

5.  Reboot (erghh, how Windozy, at least you don't have to do it very often!)

6.  Viola!  Typing "cdrecord -scanbus" should show up your CD-Rom drive as
well as your CD burner, and consequentially it should appear in any other
CD-burning front-ends that you use.

I hope that comes in useful to somebody sometime, at least it's up on the 'Net
now for future reference, so they don't have to pester the Unix Geeks with
trivial questions like this ;-)

Is this the kind of thing that might go in the Wiki?  There doesn't seem to be
a lot in there at the mo, is it a kind of "anything goes" type affair or does
it have a clear purpose in life?

Cheers,

Jon