[LUG] CDRW/DVD combo as slave ide is okay?

Hi,

Well my new work PC has arrived, and with redhat 9 around the corner I'm not
going to do anything with it until that's out. (At the mo it was used to
demo installing rh8 to some other people here.)

The pc has a cdrw/dvd combo drive. I know nothing about cd writing since
I've never owned a writer before, but I was told to get a new pc and, to
some extent I could ask for addon bits if I needed them for work. So I got
the cdrw/dvd drive :-)

My question is this, the system has 2 ide disks which I was going to use for
software raiding - one on each ide channel. It also has a zip drive and the
cdrw/dvd combo drive. However I have read on the redhat list that the cdrw
will perform better if it is the master of the ide channel. But if I do that
then will it be okay to have one of the disks as a slave on the channel, or
should I just put both disks as master of their own channel, and the cdrw as
a slave on one of them? What is the disadvantage of having the cdrw as a
slave, considering that I won't be doing that much cd-writing compared to
the amount of activity both disks will be experiencing!?

Thanks,

John.