Re: [LUG] CD-CD copy

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:

> All I want to do is copy from my CD-Rom drive to my new CD burner, possibly
> doing a little error checking in between if possible.  But can I do it?
>
> X-CD-Roast doesn't recognise the CD-Rom drive (it's /dev/hdc, although I don't
> think it's mounted).
>
> I tried fiddling about with cdrecord for a bit, but couldn't work out how to
> get it just copy the CD rather than create one from a list of files.  Maybe
> there's some way of piping the data to it from something else?
>
> I've being using Grip to read off the audio tracks and burning them back to a
> CD afterwards, with some success, although the copied CD "skipped" in places,
> and one even managed to screw up so badly that my hi-fi CD player refusing to
> continue reading it half way through!  Apart from that, it's a very slow and
> manual process. :-(
>
> Surely this kind of thing should be easy?!  Any help much appreciated.

To direct copy a data cd, you want something like:
cdrecord -v speed=whatever dev=00,00,00 driveropts=burnproof -isosize /dev/hdc

(This is well documented in the CD-Writing-HOWTO)

To direct copy audio cd's you'll need cdrdao
(http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/) I think.  It's something I keep meaning
to try when I get around to it.

Alex.