Re: [LUG] RedHat 9.0

So, the 50 million quid question is: Which release should we be using for a production server?

I'm planning at some point a rebuild of a server - previously I'd been considering 7.3 as it's known to be pretty stable. However, this is now slipping behind from 'current' and RedHat's change of heart regarding support for 'old' releases has made a lot of people nervous about staying with old versions.

I think in an ideal world it'd be great to do a complete rebuild of a redhat distro - going through each RPM and rebuilding it with the very latest version, having checked exactly what extra crud RH have added (HOW many kernel patches do they add?). Of course this would take ages and I have no time as it is, but it'd be useful to do and would allow you to forget about RH's official support entirely.

Jon.