Re: [LUG] OT: DMCA - Has the world gone crazy ? or is it just an American thing ?

> Unfortunately the argument that the people you are legislating
> in favour of are an unsavoury bunch who will abuse the
> legislation as much as they can doesn't carry much weight with
> legislators

Boycott is the answer there - don't do business with people who
behave badly.  The 'Net can help with that.

> > God help us all if ...  or should I say WHEN  we get DMCA in
> > (OLD or NEW) Europe.
>
> I believe only 2 of the 15 member countries of the EU have
> adopted the changes by the deadline specified.

It doesn't work that way.

The EU law is law and applies to member states from the date
given.

Countries which wish to implement it in some particular way
(subclass it) have until the deadline to do so, or of course
they can enact a version into national legislation after the
deadline and it will apply, if it is compatible with EU law,
from when it is implemented.

The EC is quite pro open source, and some of the people working
in the relevant Directorate are hard and effective workers whom
I have met, so don't go overboard.
--
From one of the Linux desktops of Dr Adrian Midgley
http://www.defoam.net/