Re: [LUG] HT DIG

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 09:50:25AM +0000, Roland Tarver wrote:

> Is HTDig still the best OSS for site searches?

Depends on your interpretation of best.

It's formatting is quite flexible, it's dead easy to install.

It is a inclusion only check, however, which means no relevance is
applied. You don't get control over the searching mechanism.

I don't think it applies any Stemming algorithms. Its list of synonyms
is pants.

> Is it still being maintained/developed, are there any alternatives?

As far as I know it is, however, the last release was over a year
ago.

An alternative is to write one yourself, which takes no time at all.

If this is for the directory, then I'm sure that htdig is throwing up
some weird results, due to the number of index pages in existance.

Cheers

Steve